Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Thinking in Triqui, continued + ni'yaj puzzles

The following passage shows the funny interaction between the rá 'think' construction and the question particle, namely in a passage 'Do you think this is the man who used to sit and beg...?'  what is really being asked is something like [in your thoughts [is this the man who used to sit and beg?] ].  The Triqui order is
[This is the man who used to sit and beg][you think][question].  The 'thinking' construction is discussed here, here, and here

Another puzzle -- does ni'yaj mean 'look at' in this passage?  The passersby look at the formerly blind man, but when they look at him, they also have a particular thought/attitude of surprise toward him.


1 comment:

whatsithisreallyfools said...

In Bengali, I learned how to say "I think that" and it has a similar structure: amar mone hoy je.

amar = my (ami 'I' + -r '[possessive]', mon 'thought' -e 'in' hoy 'is' je 'that'

Hindi has "mera khal hai ki"

In Hindi, I often wanted to say "maiM socta huM ki" which I don't think was exactly wrong but often sounded a bit like "I ponder that" or "I plan that". My English-Bengali dictionary gives a very bad translation for "think": cinta kora, which is much more like "I worry that" or "I'm concerned that".

And certainly in Hindi, "mujhe lagta hai ki" works both for "it seems [to me] that" and also "I think that"