Monday, February 27, 2012

Two indefinites in Triqui

A little puzzle that I am trying to work out.  The one for 'one' is either yo'o or 'o in Copala Triqui, but I do not understand the different.  B. Hollenbach's dictionary lists one as a variant of the other.

It seems to me that possibly the two forms have a different syntactic distribution.  Yo'o appears in contexts that mostly seem like existentials, especially introducing a new noun phrases.  The following three examples seem typical:

1 Cor 5:1
1 Cor 10:16

Acts 5:1
'o has a somewhat different distribution, which I will explore in a subsequent post.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I am starting to doubt myself on this, and wonder if the difference between the two is dialectal. One clue that may lead to this is that although both appear frequently in the New Testament, there is no yo'o in our texts from Roman.