Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Choctaw dictionary in FLEx and orthographic choices

My friend Jack is working with Oklahoma Choctaws to produce an audio dictionary that will use their preferred spelling system.   I'm working this morning on a quick review of the entries.  Here is a screenshot:


One big regret of my own work with Choctaw is that I didn't use the traditional orthography enough, which alienates some Choctaw communities who are attached to it.

In my defense I have to say -- the traditional orthography is terrible.  Choctaw has a vowel length distinction not present in the traditional orthography, and the orthography also uses two different symbols for each of the three phonemic vowels /a, i, o/, which are written according to how the 19th century missionaries perceived the vowel quality.  Instances of /a/ that sounded more like schwa were written with the symbol <ʋ>.

But something I understand now that I did not understand as well when I was a grad student is that orthographies don't have to be good to be useful to native speakers.  I would think that my advice to someone starting to work with a community is that if there is any orthography which speakers can use, you should stick with it.

No comments: