Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Persian chrestomathy

One of the ways in which I'm trying to teach myself Farsi is by working with texts which already have an analysis available.   I stumbled on an old, but rather nice resource on Google Play (the stupid new name for Google Books).

The book was published in 1857 by Arthur Henry Bleeck.A concise grammar of the Persian language: containing dialogues, reading lessons, and a vocabulary: together with a new plan for facilitating the study of languages 

 It starts with a brief grammatical overview, but then there are 100+ pages of text/analysis.  Typically every other page has a paragraph of Persian, with translation, and every word is given in the vocabulary below and facing this paragraph.
Here is an example:



I've been adding this text to my FLEx project as a learning exercise.  Here is a little of the text in my preliminary analysis:



This aid to learning a language was called a chrestomathy;  I don't think that they are much used anymore, but they work pretty well for my purposes.

It would be nice if the Persian were in electronic format, so that I didn't have to retype it.  But it has the side advantage of making me pay more attention to the text as it goes in.  More easily accessible electronic texts don't have the advantage of an analysis...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,


Here are some great resources I've collected from the internet to help Persian learners.

http://lanaguageresources.blogspot.com.br/2017/10/persianfarsi-learning-resources.html


Peace.

Unknown said...

http://tarjomaan.com/vdcf.vdciw6demgiaw.html (Audio)
http://tarjomaan.com/vdcg.397rak9xypr4a.html (Transcript)

I have collected many other resources of the like.